Detecting execution of files in rwtab

Kevin Sullivan kevin4sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 17:21:50 UTC 2017

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but I was unable to find
information about it in the mailing list.

I am running auditd on a machine that is configured with readonly-root
support. For this configuration to work, I have files listed in
/etc/rwtab.d/ that need to be read-write, but are on my hard-drive that is
read-only.

So if I add an audit rule for a random file:

# auditctl -w /etc/rc.d/rc.local -p x -k rclocal

If /etc/rc.d/rc.local is mounted in a tmpfs (because of readonly-root),
running rc.local will not produce an event. If I unmount /etc/rc.d/rc.local
and run it, an event will be generated.

How am I supposed to audit files that are mounted in tmpfs due to rwtab and
readonly-root?

Thanks,

Kevin