operation not supported on filtering

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 17:55:11 UTC 2018

On Monday, December 3, 2018 12:26:39 PM EST Vincent Fiset wrote:
> I got a minimal audit.rules file containing:
>
>     # cat -n /etc/audit/audit.rules
>     1  -D
>     2
>     4
>     5  -e 0

Why are you ^^^ disabling the audit system? You may want to try commenting
that out.

>     7  -a always,exclude -F msgtype=CWD
>     8
>     9  -w /etc/sysctl.conf -p wa -k sysctl
>
> When I restart auditd I get:
>
>     # /etc/init.d/auditd restart
>     Restarting audit daemon: auditd Error sending add rule request
> (Operation not supported)
>     There was an error in line 7 of /etc/audit/audit.rules
>      failed!
>
> instructions like `-a always,exclude -F msgtype=CWD` seems to be very
> popular in example all over the internet. I don't understand why I get the
> error.
>
> I use auditd `1:1.7.18-1.1` on debian 7
>
> What should I do to make this filter work?

Support for msgtype on the exclude filter goes all the way back to 2005. So,
it should work unless the kernel was built without audit full support. It
might also be that if the audit system is disabled, it won't load rules. So,
I'd try that. The code is very old and behaviors have changed over the years
(both kernel and user space).