Re: patch suggested by rgb for fixing auditd logs for clone syscall shows exit code as container namespace pid of child process instead of host namespace

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:53 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb redhat com> wrote:
> On 2018-01-05 13:07, Steve Grubb wrote:
>> On Friday, January 5, 2018 6:00:01 AM EST madz car wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > Please refer to the issue details at github :
>> > https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-kernel/issues/68
>> >
>> > Here is a patch as suggested by rgb, i can confirm that it works.
>>
>> By hooking this function, doesn't this change the return code for all
>> syscalls?
>
> Yes, you are right, Steve.  This would give bogus return values for all
> other syscalls.

Yes, this patch is not something we want to merge.

> Madzcar, I assume you can confirm that this patch will give incorrect
> results for all other syscalls for the "exit" field.
>
> So, that should be in kernel/fork.c:_do_fork(), or rather, just replace
> the pid_vnr() call with pid_nr().  However, this will mess up all
> callers (clone(2), fork(2), vfork(2) kernel_thread(), do_fork()), who
> expect the return value in the caller's PID namespace, so that won't
> work.  The return value is technically correct for the PID namespace
> from which it was called and reported correctly in the audit record.

I think we should just leave the current behavior intact for the time
being; the information being reported is correct, even if it is a bit
confusing outside of the initial PID namespace.  Yes, I understand it
may be a bit awkward, but there are plenty of things that are
currently awkward when audit is used with the various
namespaces/containers.  The good news is that we are currently working
on trying to solve these issues; it make take some time to get
everything sorted, but solving this as part of the larger, multi-step
effort makes much more sense than a quick and dirty hack now.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com