auditctl for admin's accessing other user files

Skaggs, Nicholas C nskaggs at tulane.edu
Mon Jun 25 20:59:59 UTC 2018

Hello
I noticed in the man page for auditctl, an example of how to monitor if admins are accessing other user's files. I created a rule like the one in the example. This is great that it is pulling the action and user calling the action!

The rule
-a always,exit -S all -F dir=/home/username/ -F uid=0 -C auid!=obj_uid

I will pull a report on the findings with
aureport -f -i | grep /home/username/

The report is heavier than anticipated so I tried to make an adjustment to only capture what happens in the directory
-a always,exit -S all -F path=/home/username/ -F uid=0 -C auid!=obj_uid
... but that is returning with  Error sending add rule data request (Invalid argument)

I then tried the below rule; it does not return an error upon add, but when I do an auditctl -l there are no rules listed
-a always,exit -S all -F path=/home/username/ -p=rwxa -F uid=0 -C auid!=obj_uid

Is there a preferred  way to set the rule, maybe on the inode of the directory, but does not lose the ability to see if an admin is doing it and what action?  I have been adding these on the fly, instead of adding to the /etc/audit/audit.rules file, for now.

Thanks!
Nick Skaggs