auditctl for admin's accessing other user files

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 21:16:46 UTC 2018

On Monday, June 25, 2018 4:59:59 PM EDT Skaggs, Nicholas C wrote:
> Hello
> I noticed in the man page for auditctl, an example of how to monitor if
> admins are accessing other user's files. I created a rule like the one in
> the example. This is great that it is pulling the action and user calling
> the action!
>
> The rule
> -a always,exit -S all -F dir=/home/username/ -F uid=0 -C auid!=obj_uid

You might also want to add     -F auid>=1000 -F auid!=4294967295
So that you get events caused by people and not system daemons. This might be
all that you need to do.

> I will pull a report on the findings with
> aureport -f -i | grep /home/username/
>
> The report is heavier than anticipated so I tried to make an adjustment to
> only capture what happens in the directory -a always,exit -S all -F
> path=/home/username/ -F uid=0 -C auid!=obj_uid ... but that is returning
> with  Error sending add rule data request (Invalid argument)

You should use the "dir" option rather than "path". A full example would be:
-a always,exit -F dir=/home -F uid=0 -F auid>=1000 -F auid!=4294967295
-C auid!=obj_uid

-Steve