Query regarding to audit netlink call

Avinash Patwari patwariavinash04 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:09:57 UTC 2018

Hi,

I wrote a program to listen to iptables modification through netlink
sockets, for this I used NETLINK_AUDIT family, when I execute the program
and modify the iptables rule, program doesn't receive any message from
kernel and it will be in blocking mode only. Could you help me to find what
is wrong in this program or what else I need to do to receive iptables
notification ?

I ran this program as a root user & audit deamon is also running.

ps -eaf | grep -i auditd

root 499 2 0 Nov16 ? 00:00:00 [kauditd]

 root 926 1 0 Nov16 ? 00:00:00 /sbin/auditd -n

I tried configuring  auditctl setting as well directly using auditctl
command & can see the modifcation with "ausearch -k iptablesChange" command
output but notification is not received in application.

Here is the program :-

 #include "libaudit.h"

#include <stdio.h>#include <string.h>#include <unistd.h>
int main(){
        int rc;
        struct audit_message rep;
        int fd;
        struct sockaddr_nl sa;

        memset(&sa, 0, sizeof(sa));
        sa.nl_family = AF_NETLINK;
        sa.nl_groups = 0;

        fd = audit_open();

        bind(fd, (struct sockaddr *) &sa, sizeof(sa));

        rc = audit_get_reply(fd, &rep, GET_REPLY_BLOCKING, 0);
        if(rc < 0)
        {
                printf("Error");
        }
        else
        {
                printf("msg received %d \n",rep.nlh.nlmsg_type );
                break;
        }

        audit_close(fd);

        return 0;}