Number of TTY events vs Number of USER_TTY events

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Aug 9 20:48:47 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:13:19 PM EDT Smith, Gary R wrote:
> I have TTY auditing set up on a number of hosts using pam_tty_audit for the
> root account. I have this line in a PAM file to enable it:

> session   required pam_tty_audit.so disable=* enable=root
>
> In looking at the reports from aureport and ausearch, the number of TTY
> events is always equal to the number of USER_TTY events. For instance:

> # ausearch -i -m TTY -ts today | wc -l ; ausearch -i -m USER_TTY -ts today
> | wc -l
> 20
> 20
>
> I started wondering, “Are there always the same number of these two event
> types?” I tried constructing some synthetic cases to see if there is a
> case where there isn’t an equal number of the two events. I couldn’t
> construct such a case.  Is there a case of cases where the two type event
> types aren’t of equal number?

I think that is just a coincidence. I don't think there is any attempt to
keep them in sync. For example, if you open a document and edit it for a long
time, you will probably get them out of sync because the bash based one loses
visibility of what's happening in the document editor. Meanwhile the kernel
still sees everything.