Preferred subj= with multiple LSMs

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jul 16 21:46:52 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 5:25:21 PM EDT Paul Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM Casey Schaufler <casey at schaufler-ca.com>
wrote:

> > > But doing something like this will totally break all parsers. To be
> > > honest, I don't know if I'll ever see more than one labeled security
> > > system running at the same time. And this would be a big penalty to
> > > pay for the flexibility that someone, somewhere just might possibly do
> > > this.
> >
> > While I have never seen multiple-LSM plans from RedHat/IBM I
> > have seen them from Ubuntu. This isn't hypothetical. I know that
> > it's a hard problem, which is why we need to get it as right as
> > possible.
>
> Agreed.  While I'm not going to be on a specific Linux release, I do
> believe that at some point in the future the LSM stacking work is
> going to land in Linus' tree.  Perhaps you'll never see it Steve, but
> we need to prepare the code to handle it when it happens.

And I agree with that. I'm saying that if we push it all in subj= then it is
not a big penalty. It saves major breakage. Every single event is required to
have a subj= field if its a MAC system. By changing it to lsm_subj= it changes
the layout of every single event. And it make more to parse. And searching
the labels is worse because it has to iterate over a list of *_subj to match
it. This will hurt performance because it is for every single event.

> For my own sanity, here is a quick summary of the constraints as I
> currently see them, please feel free to add/disagree:
>
> * We can't have multiple "subj" fields in a single audit record.
> * The different LSMs all have different label formats and allowed
> characters.  Further, a given label format may not be unique for a
> given LSM; for example, Smack could be configured with a subset of
> SELinux labels.
> * Steve's audit tools appear to require a "subj" and "obj" fields for
> LSM information or else they break into tiny little pieces.

It changes all knowledge of where to look for things. And considering
considering that events could be aggregated from systems of different ages/
distributions, audit userspace will always have to be backwards compatible.

> What if we preserved the existing subj/obj fields in the case where
> there is only one "major" LSM (SELinux, Smack, AppArmor, etc.):
>
>   subj=<lsm_label>
>
> ... and in the case of multiple major LSMs we set the subj value to
> "?" and introduce new subj_X fields (as necessary) as discussed above:
>
>   subj=? subj_smack=<smack_label> subj_selinux=<selinux_label> ...
>
> ... I believe that Steve's old/existing userspace tools would simply
> report "?"/unknown LSM credentials where new multi-LSM tools could
> report the multiple different labels.

Common Criteria as well as other standards require subject labels to be
searchable. So, changing behavior based on how many modules will still cause
problems with performance because I'll always have to assume it could be
either way and try both.

> While this may not be perfect,
> it avoids having to multiplex the different labels into a single field
> (which is a big win IMHO) with the only issue being that multi-LSM
> solutions will need an updated audit toolset to see the new labels
> (which seems like a reasonable requirement).

Why would not multiplexing different labels in the same field be a big win? Its
a big loss in my mind. Using the same field preserves backward compatibility,
is more compact in bytes, creates performance problems, changes all mapping
of what things means, etc. IOW, this makes things much worse.