ausearch on the fly

MAUPERTUIS, PHILIPPE philippe.maupertuis at equensworldline.com
Fri Feb 7 08:13:23 UTC 2020

> On Friday, December 20, 2019 8:33:11 AM EST MAUPERTUIS, PHILIPPE wrote:
> > We are centralizing  the audit logs with rsyslog.
> > The SIEM behind the central log server is unable to process the raw logs.
> > We would like to push the ausearch  result in CSV format in real time or
> > near real time. Is there a way to have ausearch working from a pipe and
> > and waiting when no logs are received
>
> I think that I've seen others who setup a cron job and use the checkpointing
> feature so that they do not miss anything. You can pipe its output into
> logger. You probably also want to cut the first line which has the column
> headers.
>
> ausearch --start today --checkpoint /root/last-ausearch .chpt --format csv |
> tail -n +2 | logger
On a central log server the input file can grow very big and very fast.
Probably logrotate is needed to keep it in check.
What happen to the checkpointing feature when the file is rotated ?
How not to miss the last events from the old file and get the new events from the new file ?

> Also, the latest syslog plugin can now do interpretation. I think its in
> alpha-9 which dates back to Nov 04, 2019.
>
> It really shouldn't be hard to copy and paste the code from ausearch into the
> syslog plugin to log directly in that format. I wonder if anyone else would
> find that useful?

It would be very useful indeed

Philippe

equensWorldline is a registered trade mark and trading name owned by the Worldline Group through its holding company.
This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this e-mail in error, you are not authorized to copy, disclose, use or retain it. Please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your systems. As emails may be intercepted, amended or lost, they are not secure. EquensWorldline and the Worldline Group therefore can accept no liability for any errors or their content. Although equensWorldline and the Worldline Group endeavours to maintain a virus-free network, we do not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and can accept no liability for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted. The risks are deemed to be accepted by everyone who communicates with equensWorldline and the Worldline Group by email