[Linux-cachefs] Re: NFS Patch for FSCache

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Thu May 19 02:18:06 UTC 2005

> Reading one really big file (bigger than the memory available) over AFS, with
> a cold cache it took very roughly 107% of the time it took with no cache; but
> using a warm cache, it took 14% of the time it took with no cache. However,
> this is on my particular test box, and it varies a lot from box to box.

What network did that box have?

I'm finding that with OpenAFS, and memcache, read performance is
affected greatly by the -chunksize argument to afsd. Using -chunksize 20
(1MB chunks) gets me around 50MB/sec, while -chunksize 18 gets
5-7MB/sec. (I believe that's the size of the 'fetchrpc' calls)

Another question with the afs client.. I'd really like to use the kafs
client to mount a root filesystem, then use OpenAFS to mount /afs so
I can have read/write support. I went so far as to patch kafs to mount
as type 'kafs', but then found that both clients want to listent on port
7000. Can I either

	a) change the port for kafs
	b) get working read-write and auth support for kafs?

I'm guessing a) is much more likely..