[Linux-cachefs] using cachefs

David Howells dhowells at redhat.com
Tue Aug 29 09:51:27 UTC 2006

Shaya Potter <spotter at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> I want to use your cache fs work for a research project I'm working on
> (involving netbooting machines), was hoping that you could provide me w/ a
> pointer to the best way to actually use it w/ nfs.
>
> I've been following the development on linux-fsdevel, but am unsure where the
> latest patches are stored (besides being posted to the list) and what kernel I
> should apply them to.

Look on:

	http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache/
	http://people.redhat.com/~steved/fscache/

The patches should apply to the vanilla kernel.

To actually use it with NFS, you need to start the cache by mounting the
filesystem that's going to back the cache, then start the cache by running
cachefilesd (which is in FE6 and also on SteveD's pages) and then mounting NFS
with "-o fsc" - for which you'll need an updated mount (util-linux package) -
also available from SteveD's pages or FC6.

David