[Linux-cachefs] using cachefs

Shaya Potter spotter at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 29 16:59:23 UTC 2006

David Howells wrote:
> Shaya Potter <spotter at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
>
>> I want to use your cache fs work for a research project I'm working on
>> (involving netbooting machines), was hoping that you could provide me w/ a
>> pointer to the best way to actually use it w/ nfs.
>>
>> I've been following the development on linux-fsdevel, but am unsure where the
>> latest patches are stored (besides being posted to the list) and what kernel I
>> should apply them to.
>
> Look on:
>
> 	http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache/
> 	http://people.redhat.com/~steved/fscache/
>
> The patches should apply to the vanilla kernel.
>
> To actually use it with NFS, you need to start the cache by mounting the
> filesystem that's going to back the cache, then start the cache by running
> cachefilesd (which is in FE6 and also on SteveD's pages) and then mounting NFS
> with "-o fsc" - for which you'll need an updated mount (util-linux package) -
> also available from SteveD's pages or FC6.

what file system is reccomended to be the fs-cache backing store? (ext2,
3....?)

seems that ext2 would be the most performant, but I could be wrong.

also from experience now on debian, one needs glibc 2.4 in order to
build cachefilesd as the *at() functions arne't in the 2.3 tree.  the
2.3.999 is only available in experimental.