[Linux-cachefs] FS-Cache for NFS-root ?

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Jan 14 04:41:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:39:31PM +0100, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Am Samstag, 13. Januar 2007 20:01 schrieb Eli Stair:
> > That's up on my own TODO, and given a cursory appraisan, here are some
> > thoughts:
> >
> > You'll have to use initramfs/busybox to perform the boot (if you haven't
> > already switched from nfsroot).
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to include a new kernel option "fsc" to
> the "nfsroot"-parameter in the FS-Cache patches?

NO!!!

it is *MUCH* easier to change boot scripts and rebuild an initrd than to
have to rebuild and entire kernel.

Take a look at Debian's mkinitramfs scripts.. I have some scripts which
mount an AFS filesystem as the root, and something very similiar could
be used to configure the cachefiles daemons and whatever else is needed.

http://source.scl.ameslab.gov/hg/mkinitramfs-openafs?fd=44c8ea9061a9;file=scripts/openafs-premount/openafs