[Linux-cachefs] Using FS-Cache as a caching proxy server for Samba

Morten Halkjær mortenhalkjaer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:02:09 UTC 2007

Hi

After hours spend configuring the FS-Cache I've finally managed to get it
running. I'm using version Cachefiles 0.7.2-3 and Fedora Core 6, Kernel
2.6.18.

I've tried to setup a configuration where a FS-Cache Linux box can work as a
caching proxy for Windows client that shall connect to an external data
storage server thru a possible slow internet connection.

This is the setup:
NFSv4 Server --- (Slow Internet connection) --- [ NFSv4 Client + FS-Cache +
Samba ] --- (Fast LAN connection) ---- Windows machines

Machine 1 (Data storage): NfsV4 server
Machine 2 (Proxy server): NFSv4 Client and Samba Server
Machine 3...N (Windows clients): They connect to the Proxy server to get
access to the NfsV4 server.

The cachefiles + NFSv4 is working quite well, however, when the Windows
machines connects to the Samba share the linux kernel fails badly. Is this
possible with FS-Cache and if it is possible can anyone provide my with a
working set of configuration files?

Best regards
Morten