[Linux-cachefs] nfs_fscache_key question

David Howells dhowells at redhat.com
Thu Aug 20 10:31:29 UTC 2009

Abhishek Kulkarni <abbyzcool at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reading through the NFS fscache code (nfs/fscache.[ch] &
> nfs/fscache-index.c specifically) and I found that nfs_fscache_key
> stores a lot of information about the superblock which probably looks
> redundant. IOW, I don't see it being used anywhere. Is it just to make
> sure that the key is cooked into something unique?

It is stored on disk.  nfs_super_get_key() passes it to fscache, which then
uses it as the lookup key into the cache for a superblock (the cache is
persistent).

It became necessary, unfortunately, to distinguish the caching for NFS
superblocks based on their connection parameters, as NFS superblocks are
distinguished in this manner.

David