[Linux-cachefs] FS-Cache for local filesystems

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Thu Jun 11 23:12:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

I've read about FS-Cache here and there, but never really found the use case
for it in my own setups. However, someone pointed out the other day that
Solaris+ZFS has the opportunity to use SSDs as a sort of second-level
filesystem cache, to speed up access to frequently used data. It struck me:
Could FS-Cache do the same?

The paper I found (http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/fscache/FS-Cache.pdf)
seemed to indicate that it was indeed possible to use the FS-Cache
infrastructure for caching things like CDs, but it also seemed to indicate
that the filesystem in question needs to know FS-Cache. Do you know if
anyone's working on, say, ext4 support for this? Or am I just wrong and it
would work out of the box?

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/