[Linux-cachefs] What is the current state of the most recent patches

Craig Jackson cjackson at ebscohost.com
Thu Aug 16 20:59:36 UTC 2012

My company has become interested in an NFS caching solution, and we've
been examining the FS-Cache/CacheFiles combination.

We currently use mostly SLES11. SuSE does not support FS-Cache and
CacheFiles, but they make the necessary modules available. (cachefilesd
is not available for SLES, but is available in OpenSuSE.)

In a little bit of experimenting with FS-Cache/CacheFiles, I was able to
create a problem simply by clearing the Linux buffer cache. (echo 1 >
/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches) This created a file which would cause a
process to hang when it was touched. A kill -9 was needed to clear the
process, and the filesystem could not subsequently be unmounted.

I found this mailing list and saw that 17 patches were put forward in
February. However, they're not in kernel 3.5 or the RC version of 3.6,
nor the latest Fedora or RHEL kernels. What is the status of them?

Craig Jackson
cjackson at ebscohost.com