[Linux-cachefs] Using cachefs to distribute build output across a WAN

Alan Brown a.brown at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jul 22 11:58:01 UTC 2013

On 20/07/13 17:00, linux-cachefs-request at redhat.com wrote:

>     1. Using cachefs to distribute build output across a	WAN
>        (Wayne Johnson)

> I'm a build master at my company.? As part of my responsibilities, I have an automated job that builds our entire product every night, packages the install image and a considerable amount of debug and support information into a single directory (a build package).? This is then rsync'ed to several remote sites for use by our developers.

Rsync shouldn't consume great amounts of data unless you're changing
everything, every night.

For what you're describing a git type of environment is probably a
better fit.

> Any suggestions on how to provide a cache for folks using NFS (short of giving them each their own caches).

Setup a NFS client on the remote site and then re-export what it's
mounting to the local network.

That will aggregate requests at cost of a little bit of latency
(probably less than the WAN latency)