[Linux-cluster] GFS 6.0 node without quorum tries to fence

Adam Manthei amanthei at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 21:17:44 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:04:53PM +0200, Konrads Smelkovs wrote:
> I don't think it is smart enough. This kind of assumes that the fencing
> method is power. Suppose people are running only on san fencing.

Is a node/resource that has access to the cluster only through IP (say if it
is a dedicated lock_gulmd server) really fenced if SAN fencing is used?
I would argue not.

After the a SAN fencing action has successfully returned, the lock_gulmd
resources still would have access to the rest of the cluster.  In this case,
you may as well have used /bin/true as your fencing agent.  SAN fencing for
the lock_gulmd cluster resource is the wrong tool for the job (unless you
are doing IP traffic through that SAN).

So, you're right, it's not smart enough.  What's worse is that it relies
upon the admins being smart enough to realize this before their cluster is
configured ;)

This is probably a point worth adding to our FAQ if it's not already there.

--
Adam Manthei  <amanthei at redhat.com>