[Linux-cluster] Re: [cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] Cluster summit materials

Chris Wright chrisw at osdl.org
Wed Aug 11 17:11:04 UTC 2004

* John Cherry (cherry at osdl.org) wrote:
> At the summit I attended, we also talked about using GFS as the initial
> "consumer" of the cluster infrastructure.  The cluster infrastructure
> doesn't stand a chance of mainline acceptance without a consumer that
> both validates the interfaces and hardens the services.
>
> I am not being as subtile as RHAT was at the summit.  If we are going to
> start the process to mainline the components needed to make linux a
> "clusterable kernel" this year, we will need to get behind the core
> services that we discussed at the summit.

I read Lars' comments as something like:
  There's still a lot of work to do, and it's not a foregone conclusion
  that any of this would hit mainline.

Maybe I extrapolated too far.  However, the kernel summit included
a reasonable bit of pushback on placing this in the kernel without
convincing arguments to the contrary.  So I think it's reasonable to
consider part of the work is still clearly defining that need.

thanks,
-chris