Re: [Linux-cluster] Re: [cgl_discussion] Re: [dcl_discussion] Clustersummit materials

I just joined the linux-cluster list after seeing a few of the messages
that were cross-posted to linux-kernel.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:59:10PM -0700, Steven Dake wrote:
> Lars
> Thanks for posting transis.  I had a look at the examples and API.  The
> API is of course different then openais and focused on client/server
> architecture.

If you havn't looked at it already, you might want to try out the Spread
group communication system.

It is, conceptually although not code-wise, a decendant of the Transis
work (and the Totem system from UCSB)  and is relatively widely used as a
production quality group messaging system (Some apache modules use it
along with a number of large web-clusters, a few commercial clustered
storage systems, and a lot of custom replication apps). It is not under
GPL but is open-source under a bsd-style (but not exactly the same)

Like transis it has a client-server architecture (and a simpler API).

> I tried a performance test by sending a 64k message, and then receiving
> it 10 times with two nodes.  This operation takes about 5 seconds on my
> hardware which is 128k/sec.  I was expecting more like 8-10MB/sec.  Is
> there anything that can be done to improve the performance?

I would expect transis to definitely do better then 128k/s given tests we
ran a number of years ago, but on upto medium sized lan environments the
totem/spread protocols are generally faster with less cpu overhead. I know
Spread could get 80Mb/s a number of years ago. We recently re-ran a clean
set of benchmarks and wrote them up. You can find them at:

I admit some bias as I'm one of the lead developers of Spread, and we (the
developers) have been building group messaging systems since the early
90's -- so I may look at things a bit differently -- so I would be very
intersted in your thoughts on how you could use GCS and whether Spread
would be useful.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan cs jhu edu
Dept. of Computer Science
Johns Hopkins University