[Linux-cluster] cluster is not quorate. refusing connection

Matthew B. Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Mon Dec 13 16:30:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 16:50, Jonathan E Brassow wrote:
> on fouroften, ccsd starts up and reports it's initial status
> (inquorate), this happens after it connects to the cluster
> infrastructure.  A few moments later, CMAN reports that the cluster is
> quorate.
>
> On fiveoften, ccsd starts up, but doesn't report its initial status (or
> connect to the cluster infrastructure) until after the error messages -
> 3min and 18sec after it has started up...  At this point, I'm not sure
> what the hold-up is.
>
> Once ccsd has reported that it is connected to the cluster
> infrastructure, everything is fine right?

Not quite right, fenced is not starting up on fiveoften.  fence_tool has
some extra checking and debug output from Dave Tiegland, and I believe
it is not starting up when it finds an error.  If I try to mount a GFS
partition on fiveoften, I get a permission denied.  Foruoften starts up
fenced and I can mount up GFS.

Clvmd will start up and seems to run fine on both hosts.  The first time
I activate the logical volumes, the directory in /dev/ for the volume
group is not created.  I have to turn the volume group off again and
then turn it back on to get the directory created:

[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# vgchange -aly
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "test_vg" now active
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# ls /dev/test_vg
ls: /dev/test_vg: No such file or directory
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# vgchange -aln
  /dev/test_vg: opendir failed: No such file or directory
  /dev/test_vg: opendir failed: No such file or directory
  /dev/test_vg: opendir failed: No such file or directory
  0 logical volume(s) in volume group "test_vg" now active
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# vgchange -aly
  3 logical volume(s) in volume group "test_vg" now active
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# ls /dev/test_vg
testext3@  test_lv@  www_lv@
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]# mount -t gfs /dev/test_vg/www_lv /mnt/www
mount: permission denied
[root at fiveoften mbrookov]#

Fouroften has the same problem with making the volume group available,
but the mount is successful.  I can mount and use the file systems on
fouroften only.

Before the debug patch from Dave, I was able to get both hosts to mount
the partition.  Fencing would not work correctly because fence_tool on
fiveoften was getting the connection refused.

One more odd thing, fencing is only a problem on fiveoften.  Fouroften
has not had this problem.  I tried to start fiveoften before fouroften
and the fence_tool problem stayed on fiveoften.  Both systems are
running Fedora core 3 with the same install on both hosts, and both
systems are identical 1 GHZ Pentium 3 workstations with 512MB ram
sharing 2 SCSI disks on an Adaptec 2940 controller.  The only difference
between the 2 is the host name and IP address, and the fact that I
compiled GFS and the kernel on fouroften and copied it to fiveoften.

thanks for your help

Matt
mbrookov at mines.edu