[Linux-cluster] GFS limits?

Don MacAskill don at smugmug.com
Wed Jul 14 03:42:48 UTC 2004

Elliot Peele wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 18:55 -0500, Ken Preslan wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 03:22:51PM -0700, Don MacAskill wrote:
>>
>>>Does GFS somehow get around the 1TB block device issue?  Just how large
>>>can a single exported filesystem be with GFS?
>>
>>On Linux 2.4-based kernels, the limit is 1TB.  On 2.6-based kernels, the
>>limit is 8TB on 32-bit systems and some really large number (at least
>>exabytes) on 64-bit systems.
>

> The file system size limit under 2.4 is 2TB, this can be changed to 4TB
> if your kernel has the LBD (Large Block Device) patches. Really to only
> change is using a unsigned int instead of a signed int.
>
> There are rpms for GFS for 2.4.21-15.EL. I have kernel packages for
> 2.4.21-15.EL that have xfs and lbd patches if you want them.
>
> Elliot

I'd love to take a look at the LBD patches, yes.  I've currently got
systems with 2 1.2TB filesystems attached, and I'd really like to use md
or LVM or something to combine them to be one fs.  But that goes beyond
the 2TB limit....  :)

I'm on 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL right now, but I can hop back a revision to play
with this.

I wish we could use XFS, but until RH supports it, I'm afraid it's a
no-go.  Sucks, too, since I had to migrate many TBs of storage from XFS
to ext3 when we moved from SuSE Enterprise to RHEL3.   What a pain...

Thanks!

Don