[Linux-cluster] internal lvm error while locking

When trying to 'vgchange -aly' on a shared volume, I get:
"Error locking on node xi: Internal lvm error, check syslog", but
nothing appears in syslog.

(The error is undoubtedly between keyboard and chair, as I'm testing
quite a bizarre setup at the moment, but the error message could be
more helpful as to what exactly I'm doing which is not allowed.)