[Linux-cluster] What is the status of GFS?

Vincent Aniello Vincent.Aniello at PipelineTrading.com
Thu Nov 25 13:57:27 UTC 2004

What is the current recommended stable version of the Linux kernel and
GFS combination?

I recently setup GFS 6.0.0-15 with kernel version 2.4.21-20.ELsmp.
According to the message below, though, this will not give me the best
performance and stability.  Should I upgrade to a later kernel?

Will the new version of GFS run with the 2.4 kernel or will it require
2.6?

--Vincent

This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient(s) or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer and files. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material contained herein is strictly forbidden. Pipeline Trading Systems, LLC - Member NASD & SIPC.
-----Original Message-----
From: linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Abe Shelton
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 9:06 PM
To: linux clistering
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] What is the status of GFS?

I've been lurking too and am also very interested hearing the official,
up-to-date status of gfs on both RHEL3 and FC3.

We've managed to get GFS-6.0.0-15 working on RHEL3U3 with directly
attached SAN storage. (3 nodes, shared disk array via FC HBAs, each node

running lock_gulmd)

In my first round of benchmarks using bonnie++ on kernel
2.4.21-20.ELsmp, the 'many small files' tests didn't work out so well.

We're retesting now with kernel 2.4.21-25.ELsmp. So far everything seems

stable and FS performance compared to stock ext3 seems decent.

- with bonnie++ running simultaneously on each machine, ext3 averages
77.10 MB/sec writing and 54.65 MB/sec reading.
- same setup/methodology with gfs manages 63.01 MB/sec avg for writing
and 54.87 MB/sec avg for reading.

Abe