[Linux-cluster] GFS

Dascalu Dragos dascalu_dragos at bah.com
Tue Oct 26 20:41:29 UTC 2004

We are working on a similar scenario but adding mailman into the mix.
The ideal outcome would be for multiple mailman/postfix servers to
write archives, etc to the same centralized location on a SAN. After
doing some tests this setup does not appear to be trivial. We ran into
a similar problem when using NFS; if multiple machines write to the
same file at the same time the file gets mangled as the machines cut
each other off. With GFS we noticed that each machine has a 4k buffer
window in which it writes its data. If a second process decides to
start writing to the same file we noticed alternating writes to the
file after 4k of data.

We would like multiple mailman machines to write their archives to a
centralized space on a SAN. If a mail list message gets sent
concurrently from both machines to the same list, the archives may get
mangled. I would also like to know of any alternatives to make this
work.

Dede.