[Linux-cluster] updating running cluster.conf

I've been running a two-node cluster for a month or so and finally got myself a couple of APC master switches to perform automatic fencing.
I want to update my cluster.conf file to reflect the new fencing method but I'd like to do it without an interruption in service.
When I join a node the cluster simply copies over the old cluster.conf file to the new nodes /etc/cluster directory. So simply joining a new node with a new config file doesn't do it.
I tried using "cman_tool version -r" in an attempt to update the conf version. However now it just rejects node addition in general (and does not update the running cluster.conf file)...

in short, I don't know how to introduce the new changes without taking down all nodes. any ideas?
-alan