[Linux-cluster] GFS poor performance

Jonathan E Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Wed Apr 27 15:49:25 UTC 2005

It really depends on what you are doing.

GFS, in it's current state, favors large I/O.  You can get very good
results if separate machines are simultaneously doing large block I/O.

For now, think of it like this: 1) the larger the block I/O, the better
the performance 2) simultaneous non-contending I/O from different
machines increase throughput.

You are probably testing from one machine with smaller I/O - violating
both 1 & 2 above.  In which case, ext3 - a file system designed to be
local (as opposed to clustered) - should be faster.

That being said, there are a number of improvements coming in GFS that
will greatly improve workloads like the one you are testing.

Also, there are HA advantages to consider.  Performance vs High
Availability...  Hopefully, in the not to distant future, you will not
have to choose, but will get both from GFS.

  brassow

One way to think about the current state of GFS is to compare it to
thread programming.  If you add threading to your program, but it has
to do alot of locking and only runs on one processor; you've just
killed all your performance.  If you add a processor (or machines in
GFS's case), it is possible that you will see speedup.  If you increase
your work chunks (increase I/O size) and reduces locking (reduce
contention), you will see great improvements.