[Linux-cluster] CLVM and Snapshots?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Tue Aug 2 19:10:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Nate Carlson wrote:
> I'm curious if it should be possible to take a snapshot of a filesystem
> sitting on top of CLVM (*not* a shared filesystem like GFS; something
> like XFS or ext3, but still on a shared block device). I recall trying
> it a couple weeks ago, and it failing miserably, but don't recall why,
> and figured I'd ask if it should work before experimenting again.
>
> If it should work, a few questions:
> - Should I be able to create the snapshot on any node, or just the node
>  that is using the LV that I want to create a snapshot of?
> - Is the syntax identical to normal linux snapshots?
>
> Thanks!

OK, decided to try it.. here's what I get:

xen1:~# lvcreate -L 1G -s -n snaptest /dev/XenSystemDisks/iron
   Error locking on node nitrogen: Internal lvm error, check syslog
   Aborting. Failed to activate snapshot exception store. Remove new LV and retry.

Error on Nitrogen:

Aug  2 14:09:05 nitrogen lvm[295]: Volume group for uuid not found: doCTDCC376pE3g2JA35fNAieVNTWpAC1B3UIGOGQpn5Um5FcmPsa8yQPa0p9o9ZP

Nitrogen does not have access to the PV that this snapshot is on, which
could be part of the problem.