[Linux-cluster] Re: GFS

Pekka J Enberg penberg at cs.helsinki.fi
Wed Aug 10 20:18:48 UTC 2005

Mark Fasheh writes:
> Hmm, well today in OCFS2 if you're not coming from read or write, the lock
> is held only for the duration of ->nopage so I don't think we could get into
> any deadlocks for that usage.

Aah, I see GFS2 does that too so no deadlocks here. Thanks. You, however,
don't maintain the same level of data consistency when reads and writes
are from other filesystems as they use ->nopage.

Fixing this requires a generic vma walk in every write() and read(), no?
That doesn't seem such an hot idea which brings us back to using ->nopage
for taking the locks (but now the deadlocks are back).

                       Pekka