[Linux-cluster] RHEL/RHCS3: /usr/lib/clumanager/services/service status # stays up

Tarun Reddy Tarun.Reddy at rallydev.com
Thu Aug 18 20:12:25 UTC 2005

I'm running a new instance of RHCS on RHEL3 and am having an issue
where I get many instances (over how many ever days of the machine
running) of the following:

/bin/bash /usr/lib/clumanager/services/service status 1

all showing up when I do a ps auxww | grep status. The number on the
end changes and is not always the same but currently on my system I
have status 1 and status 0 both "stuck" running. These happen to be
checks for mysql (1) and httpd (0), both of which are using standard
redhat startup/shutdown/status scripts.

If I kill them, the service that it is associated with restarts
thinking that the result didn't return back correctly. Not desirable
since the service is actually up.

The number of occurrences has been greatly reduced since I increased
the time between checks from 1 to 10. I didn't realize it was in
seconds (RTFM) and so I'll probably boost that up to 30 or 60 seconds.

Anyway, in an attempt to debug this, I started a while loop that
called the above statement with a -x after the bash and found that
the command occassionally hangs at

+ retVal=0
+ '[' -n 6 -a -n 5 -a 6 -le 5 ']'
+ return 3
+ return 0
+ rm -f /tmp/cluster-httpd_status.z16209
+ ip status 0

Anybody venture a guess as to why this might be occurring? And are my
check intervals too low?

Thanks,
Tarun