[Linux-cluster] Rhcs4 fence with no hardware power switch

nattapon viroonsri nattaponv at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 02:00:54 UTC 2005

>On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 02:26 +0000, nattapon viroonsri wrote:
> > I use RedHat cluster v4 for HA and have no power switch hardware
> > When i disconnected  network cable for client access resource , Failover
> > have occur as expect
> > But the server that was disconnect network cable not be rebooted or
>fenced
> > like rhcs V3(even no power switch).  And the failed server  can't not
>join
> > cluster again.
>
>Eep, no failover should have occurred if you don't have fencing.

I see resource(virtual ip, serviice) tranfer to another node. but dont see
any mesage in /var/log/message said about fencing, may be i miss something .
and i try to reboot failnode with command "init 6" manually but it show that
cant stop rgmanager service.

> > In Rhcs V3. it reboot fail node automatically without hardware power
>switch
> >
> > So, Have anyway to reboot failed node(network problem or server problem)
> > without use hardware power switch to make failnode to clean state again
>?
>
>You need fencing hardware with RHCS4/RHEL4.  I'd check ebay if you're
>not looking to spend a lot, you can get a WTI NPS115 for pretty cheap
>nowadays (under $100!).

Have any addition module or modify version of  perl script "fence_xxx"  or
use wathdog with rhcs v4. ?

>You can run with manual fencing, but no automatic recovery will occur,
>and this isn't a supported solution.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)