Re: [Linux-cluster] Rhcs4 fence with no hardware power switch

On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 02:26 +0000, nattapon viroonsri wrote:
> I use RedHat cluster v4 for HA and have no power switch hardware
> When i disconnected network cable for client access resource , Failover
> have occur as expect
> But the server that was disconnect network cable not be rebooted or fenced
> like rhcs V3(even no power switch). And the failed server can't not join
> cluster again.

Eep, no failover should have occurred if you don't have fencing.

I see resource(virtual ip, serviice) tranfer to another node. but dont see any mesage in /var/log/message said about fencing, may be i miss something .
and i try to reboot failnode with command "init 6" manually but it show that cant stop rgmanager service.

> In Rhcs V3. it reboot fail node automatically without hardware power switch
>
> So, Have anyway to reboot failed node(network problem or server problem)
> without use hardware power switch to make failnode to clean state again ?

You need fencing hardware with RHCS4/RHEL4.  I'd check ebay if you're
not looking to spend a lot, you can get a WTI NPS115 for pretty cheap
nowadays (under $100!).

Have any addition module or modify version of perl script "fence_xxx" or use wathdog with rhcs v4. ?

You can run with manual fencing, but no automatic recovery will occur,
and this isn't a supported solution.

Thanks for your suggestion. :)

-- Lon