[Linux-cluster] manual fencing not working in RHEL4 branch

busy admin busyadmin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:04:38 UTC 2005

David,

I have tried the same init scripts with both ipmi and drac fencing, no
problems.  When I try manual fencing (it seems) that fence_manual
introduces some strangeness such that I run into my problem.

What is the problem:
When running manual fencing and doing failover testing, my secondary
node takes over the service without waiting for a fence_ack_manual.
This all works perfectly with automatic fencing (ipmi, drac).

I have the same problem (most of the time) when I run this whole thing by hand:
1. nodeA: ccsd
2. nodeB: ccsd
3. nodeA: cman_tool join -w
4. nodeB: cman_tool join -w
5. nodeA: fence_tool join -w
6. nodeB: fence_tool join -w

When I start to see the problem, on the next reboot of both the
systems I can replace steps 5 & 6 with 'fenced -D'.  Now if I try to
failover a machine then manual fencing works perfectly (meaning forces
me to do a fence_ack_manual before a service fails over).  Next, I can
go in and change 'fenced -D' back to 'fence_tool join -w' and things
still work (forces me to run fence_ack_manual).

Next, if I replace the manual steps above with the init scripts then
manual fencing breaks all over again until I repeat the above steps.

Sounds like a timing issue around fence_manual?  Let me know if you
want me to try anything different.  Thanks for all your help.