[Linux-cluster] help

Benjamin Marzinski bmarzins at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 02:49:20 UTC 2005

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 01:07:58PM +0200, Raz Ben-Jehuda(caro) wrote:
>    gnbd_serv cannot load without -n flag.
>    They fixed it in min-gfs.txt document.
>    So, I have a little problem with it.

I have had no problem starting gnbd_serv without the -n option.

If you try to start gnbd_serv without a cluster manager running on the node,
you will receive a message like this on the command line

gnbd_serv: ERROR cannot get node name : No such process
gnbd_serv: ERROR No cluster manager is running
gnbd_serv: ERROR If you are not planning to use a cluster manager, use -n

and like this in syslog

ERROR [gnbd_serv.c:389] If you are not planning to use a cluster manager, use -n

This is not a gnbd error. This means that the cluster has not been properly
started.

Not only must there be a working cluster, but the gnbd server node must be a
cluster member.  In the min-gfs.txt document, the gnbd server node is not a
cluster member, so you will not be able to export uncached gnbds with this
setup.

If you believe that the gnbd server node is a member of a quorate cluster,
you can do this check.

run

# ccsd
# cman_tool join

on all cluster nodes.

Then run

# cat /proc/cluster/status

For "Membership state:" you should see "Cluster-Member"
For "Nodes:" you should see the number of nodes you expect there to be.

If the cluster has not started up, you will not see a "Nodes:" section, and
"Membership state:" will say something like "Starting" or "Not-in-Cluster".

If you are a cluster member, and you still cannot start up gnbd_serv, please
run it with the -v option, and send me the command and log output, along
with the output from

# cat /proc/cluster/status.

Thanks,
Ben