[Linux-cluster] two fencing problems

Eric Kerin eric at bootseg.com
Wed Dec 7 19:48:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 14:32 -0500, Greg Forte wrote:
> I suspect this is because it's
> a two-node cluster so fenced doesn't want to let me kick out a node
> that's still active ... or maybe it's a just host name problem.
> Regardless, it _does_ work correctly if I simulate a real failure, after
> I made the aforementioned cluster.conf change, so I'm confident that
> I've got it configured correctly.

It's most likely a host name problem, because I run a two node cluster,
and I used fence_node while testing everything.

If you post the relevant sections of your cluster.conf file (the
clusternodes, and fencedevices sections are the important ones)  We
might be able to help you figure out why it's not working right though.

But mainly, check that the names you use in the clusternode name
attributes are resolvable on both nodes, and they resolve to the same IP
address on both nodes.

Thanks,
Eric Kerin
eric at bootseg.com

> My gripe is that (a) the gui tool
> can't seem to generate even the most simple conf correctly, and (b)
> there's apparently a bug in fenced where it passes an "option=on" to the
> fence_apc agent, when it clearly should be "option = off".  Or else ccsd
> is misparsing the cluster.conf file.  I don't see how else to explain
> that the conf file said "off", then "on", but the daemon did "on", "on".

Hmm, I'll see if I can replicate this on my testing cluster.  Although I
don't think it's designed to work the way you're expecting it to from
your config.  Of course, I haven't played with multiple fence devices in
my configs before, so I could be mistaken.

Eric