[Linux-cluster] Question about fencing using wti power switch

Ben Yarwood ben.yarwood at juno.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 15:44:45 UTC 2005

I am running FC4, with gfs and clustering and am trying to test fencing.  My
cluster.conf file is shown at the bottom.

Whenever I disable the network port for one of the cluster boxes I would
expect the device to be fenced using the wti power switch, however I just
get the following messsages in the log saying the device needs to be fenced
manually.

Dec  9 15:36:01 jrmedia-a fenced[2066]: fencing node "jrmedia-c"
Dec  9 15:36:01 jrmedia-a fence_manual: Node jrmedia-c needs to be reset
before recovery can procede.  Waiting for jrmedia-c to rejoin the cluster or
for manual acknowledgement that it has been reset (i.e. fence_ack_manual -n
jrmedia-c)

I have tested that the device can be fenced by using fence_wti directly and
it works correclty, power cycling the plug.
Can someone tell me either if I have made a mistake in the cluster.conf file
or how I can get more debugging information.

Thanks
Ben

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<cluster name="alpha_cluster" config_version="14">
        <clusternodes>
                <clusternode name="jrmedia-a">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="power">
                                        <device name="wti" port="16"/>
                                </method>
                                <method name="human">
                                        <device name="last_resort"
ipaddr="jrmedia-a"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>
                <clusternode name="jrmedia-b">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="power">
                                        <device name="wti" port="15"/>
                                </method>
                                <method name="human">
                                        <device name="last_resort"
ipaddr="jrmedia-b"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>
                <clusternode name="jrmedia-c">
                        <fence>
                                <method name="power">
                                        <device name="wti" port="13"/>
                                </method>
                                <method name="human">
                                        <device name="last_resort"
ipaddr="jrmedia-c"/>
                                </method>
                        </fence>
                </clusternode>
        </clusternodes>
        <fencedevices>
                <fencedevice name="wti" agent="fence_wti" ipaddr="10.0.1.40"
passwd="xxxxx"/>
                <fencedevice name="last_resort" agent="fence_manual"/>
        </fencedevices>
</cluster>

Ben Yarwood
Technical Director