[Linux-cluster] Re: Linux-cluster Digest, Vol 20, Issue 12

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Dec 13 15:26:38 UTC 2005

Marco Masotti wrote:

>>==========================
>>Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 01:42:11 -0800 (PST)
>>From: Alan Wood <chekov at ucla.edu>
>>To: linux-cluster at redhat.com
>>Subject: [Linux-cluster] Re: Linux-cluster Digest, Vol 20, Issue
>>12
>>==========================
>>

>[...]
>

>>SMB is stateful and not cluster
>>aware,
>>

>I'm defintely missing something in my assumptions. By its very nature, shouldn't GFS be prescinding from its application, as in every other filesystem?
>
>Also, pls allow the ingenuous question, what number of applications needs ever to be cluster aware, if not a very strict one? Also, intuitively as it may come, should a properly written applicative be independent of the operating filesystem properties?
>Thanks.

I agree here - GFS supposedly supports posix semantics, so the
application should not care about whether it is clustered or not, as
long as it using locking correctly on it's own.  At least, with other
clustered filesystems, this is the case. If GFS doesn't allow this, I
would say it isn't really a cluster aware filesystem, but more of a
distributed lock/cache coherent filesystem without fully clustered
semantics.. (please correct me here! I'm still learning)

Eric