[Linux-cluster] mysql and redhat cluster suite?

Brenton Rothchild brentonr at dorm.org
Fri Dec 16 14:50:10 UTC 2005

Anyone feel free to correct me, but I was just doing some
reading on active-active MySQL + GFS last night, and
I think such an arrangement might be possible to a degree.

 From what I can read in the MySQL documentation,
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/system.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/system.html

MySQL can use external file locking via flock() calls,
although the 4.1 page describes that file locking is turned off
by default "because Linux file locking is not yet safe" via
a compile-time option "--skip-external-locking".

The 5.0 page doesn't warn against using external file locking
to that degree, but the option to use locking is still
disabled via the "--skip-external-locking" flag.

There are also some caveats to using the --external-locking option
in MySQL.  See the documentation for "--external-locking" in
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/server-options.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-options.html

Now, on the GFS side, locking via flock() and fcntl()-based
locks appear to be supported cluster-wide from this thread,
http://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2004-October/msg00311.html

So, putting them together, if GFS supports file locking,
and MySQL can use file locking to support multiple instances
accessing the same files, an active-active MySQL set up should work.

I, too, and using a test cluster with GFS + iSCSI at this point,
and I plan to test MySQL 4.x and 5.x versions on it soon to
see what happens.  I really hope it works out under the loads
we want to test. :)

Like I said, anyone else feel free to correct me - I'm still
just getting started with RHCS/GFS/etc. at this point.

-Brenton Rothchild