[Linux-cluster] Basic question on CLVMD / GFS

Michael Weitzel michael.weitzel at uni-siegen.de
Thu Dec 22 14:02:27 UTC 2005

Jonathan Brassow wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:01 +0000, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
>>Michael Weitzel wrote:
>>>I am confused about the usage of clvmd. On a blank 80 GB disk I created
>>>pvcreate /dev/hdb

>>hdb doesn't sound like a shared disk to me.
>>clvmd doesn't magically make IDE drives into shared storage I'm afraid.

I see. I suspected this :-/

> ... but gnbd would work.  You would have a single point of failure in
> that case, but you would be able to access a volume from two machines.

Is there a limit on the number of machines a blockdevice can be exported
to? I read somewhere on this list that it is possible to use LVM to
build volume groups of imported gnbd block devices (probably with
mirroring). Can I safely "clone" such a LVM configuration to use it on
the different nodes of a cluster? ... I have a bunch of nodes with spare
IDE disks ...

Thanks & merry X-mas
--
Michael Weitzel