[Linux-cluster] cluster architecture

vahram vahram at Broadspire.com
Tue Feb 8 21:43:19 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm planning to put together a production web server farm that will
consist of at least 6 servers.  They will all be running Apache and
Postfix, and will be sharing a 4+TB storage device.  Horizontal
scalability is a major issue for us.

I just wanted to get some general recommendations on who to go with for
our storage needs.  We were considering a Netapp appliance, but the cost
is extremely high and their solution is probably a bit overkill for our
needs.  Cost is a major issue for us.

How does the performance of a Netapp appliance running NFS compare to a
fibre-based storage device (such as an Apple XServe RAID or similar
unit) running GFS?  Is anyone here running GFS on a production server
farm?  Thanks!

-vahram