[Linux-cluster] cluster architecture

Hi all,

I'm planning to put together a production web server farm that will consist of at least 6 servers. They will all be running Apache and Postfix, and will be sharing a 4+TB storage device. Horizontal scalability is a major issue for us.

I just wanted to get some general recommendations on who to go with for our storage needs. We were considering a Netapp appliance, but the cost is extremely high and their solution is probably a bit overkill for our needs. Cost is a major issue for us.

How does the performance of a Netapp appliance running NFS compare to a fibre-based storage device (such as an Apple XServe RAID or similar unit) running GFS? Is anyone here running GFS on a production server farm? Thanks!

-vahram