[Linux-cluster] cluster architecture

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 10 17:22:14 UTC 2005

IVANYI Ivan wrote:
> I've got 3 nodes direct attached to SAN. The performance of GFS has
> disappointed me a bit so far. Maybe I've got something wrong but then
> again documentation is lacking... unless I'm looking in the wrong places.
>
> Previously in a slightly different configuration I had only a slight
> performance hit with IBM's GPFS.
>
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> vahram wrote:
>>
>>> Raw throughput isn't really an issue for us.  We're more interested
>>> in seek times.  My biggest concern with GFS is stability and
>>> performance...any feedback in regards to that would be greatly
>>> appreciated.  Thanks!
>>

>> So far, GFS has worked quite well under our tests.  We have yet to have
>> it break.  Our current GFS implementation is only on two nodes with gulm
>> running on a separate lock server.  I intend to update the kernels on
>> those nodes sometime this week (to the 2.6.11 variety) and change the
>> locking from gulm to cman (since that seems to be fixed at this point).
>

> Again not too sure about the different locking mechanisms .. do you mean
> cman/dlm? will this work better for you?

Currently we use cman to do the LVM locking/clustering stuff and gulm
to do the GFS locking as cman wasn't reliable handling GFS.  The gods
that write the stuff now tell me that cman can handle GFS properly, so
I'm going to give it a whirl.

-  You know the old saying--any technology sufficiently advanced is  -
-               indistinguishable from a Perl script                 -
-                                 --Programming Perl, 2nd Edition    -