[Linux-cluster] Wire encryption

Having read the (excellent) HOWTO at https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/cluster-suite/ but not even started testing GFS, I miss some information on how the nodes communicate with each-other. What protocols and ports are used?

The reason I ask is that I wonder whether GFS, together with stunnel
or similar, could be used to create a SAN that's physically connected
through the internet, more or less along the ideas of sfs (www.fs.net).
Has anyone seen any documentation of such attempts? Is there any reason
why the idea could be flawed by definition?

-- The best defence against logic is ignorance.