[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at telkom.net.id
Wed Jul 6 04:04:08 UTC 2005

Jason Lanclos wrote:

>>>You shouldn't even need CLVM if you don't intend to muddle with
>>>partitions or cross-mount the file systems.  You'll lose resizing, but
>>>in doing so, your clients no longer need to be cluster participants.
>>>

>CLVM is cool, but its pretty much useless until LVM2 actually implements
>pvresize or a pvextend.

What's wrong with vgextend?

>One of the main advantages of having a SAN is being
>able to add space to a volume (LUN)   Currently when we expand a volume on
>the san, we have to unmount the filesystem, rescan the LUNs, then run fdisk
>on that volume, delete the partition entry, and recreate it to use all the
>space.. then at that point we can run ext2online / gfs_grow to resize the
>filesystem.

A simpler method will be create a NEW LUN, scan it, pvcreate, add it to
existing VG with vgextend, and extend your volume lvextend. At least you
don't have to mess with existing partitions.

>I would be VERY nice if pvresize / pvextend existed, that way one could expand
>the volume on the SAN,

My IBM SAN can't expand exisiting volume on the SAN. It's not like I
need it though. The above solution works better.

>rescan LUNs on each cluster member, run pvresize /
>pvextend, run lvextend and then gfs_grow and call it a day.

My only problem (for now) is I can't rescan LUNs without removing HBA
modules (thus unmounting filesystems or restarting the server). If you
can rescan LUNs online, it's a simple method of pvcreate, vgextend,
lvextend, gfs_grow, and call it a day.

>I mentioned this at the RedHat summit, and got a few puzzled looks,

I wonder why :-D

Regards,

Fajar