[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Jason Lanclos jason at selu.edu
Wed Jul 6 20:08:19 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 02:01 pm, AJ Lewis wrote:
> Just out of curiousity - if you're using your array to do volume management
> anyway - why use lvm at all?

Currently, the linux cluster connected to the SAN is RedHat AS 2.1, ext3 is the filesystem.
Each volume is on its own LUN for failover reasons.

However once we upgrade to RHEL4 and start using GFS, we would like to consolidate some of the
smaller filesystems to one LUN and use CLVM, but at the same time avoid having a volume group spread over multiple LUNS.

right now, the 2 servers we have are identical..
but as we add new servers to the cluster, the device names might be different.
using CLVM would allow usage of /dev/<vg>/<lv> mappings instead of /dev/sd??

The only reason we wouldn't use CLVM is because it doesn't support extending PV size.

--
Jason Lanclos
Systems Administrator