[Clusters_sig] RE: [Linux-cluster] Re: [Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] nodemanager, ocfs2, dlm

Lars Marowsky-Bree lmb at suse.de
Thu Jul 21 23:22:35 UTC 2005

On 2005-07-20T11:39:38, Joel Becker <Joel.Becker at oracle.com> wrote:

> 	In turn, let me clarify a little where configfs fits in to
> things.  Configfs is merely a convenient and transparent method to
> communicate configuration to kernel objects.  It's not a place for
> uevents, for netlink sockets, or for fancy communication.  It allows
> userspace to create an in-kernel object and set/get values on that
> object.  It also allows userspace and kernelspace to share the same
> representation of that object and its values.
> 	For more complex interaction, sysfs and procfs are often more
> appropriate.  While you might "configure" all known nodes in configfs,
> the node up/down state might live in sysfs.  A netlink socket for
> up/down events might live in procfs.  And so on.

Right. Thanks for the clarification and elaboration, for I am sure
not entirely clear as to how all these mechanisms relate in detail and
what is appropriate just where, and when to use something more classic
like ioctl etc... ;-)

FWIW, we didn't mean to get uevents out via configfs of course.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb at suse.de>

--
High Availability & Clustering