[Linux-cluster] locking granularity of GFS?

What is the current locking granularity of GFS?  I found an IBM GPFS
report that stated the GFS uses a global lock, which is entirely false
since I know GFS uses DLM.

>From what I've seen from use, my guess is that it's at the directory
level, which seems wierd.  Writing to different files in the same
directory gives sequential finishing times.  when I modified the output to
go to different directories, this change alleviated the finishing times
disparity.

-dan