[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Hey all,

Few hopefully easy questions for all you GFS geniouses. :)

I've created a test GFS cluster per the docs at:

http://sourceware.org/cluster/doc/usage.txt

First of all, when creating the filesystem, the docs state:

"gfs_mkfs -p lock_dlm -t <ClusterName>:<FSName> -j <Journals> <Device>
<Journals> the number of journals in the fs, one for each node to mount"

So this should be one journal for any node I may want to mount in the future? Is there any problem with having this set to a high number? (I've currently got 4 nodes, but will be running Xen domains on top of each of those nodes which will also be running GFS, so I could have 15-20 nodes easily).

Second, I see that the docs are using lock_dlm for everything; is this the recommended approach now? What are the major differences between lock_dlm and lock_gulm?

Third, just a question about how voting and such works. Again, with the possibility of 15-20 nodes, I'd still like to be able to use the GFS filesystem even if only one node is currently up. Is there anything I need to tweak to be able to do that?

Thanks much!

| nate carlson | natecars natecarlson com | http://www.natecarlson.com |