[Linux-cluster] A few GFS newbie questions: journals, etc

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Wed Jun 8 21:50:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 JACOB_LIBERMAN at Dell.com wrote:
> You can add additional journals at a later time provided that you have
> free disk space on the filesystem. At least, that was the case with GFS
> 6.

Nifty - good to know.

> With lock_gulm, you can run with a single lock manager or redundant lock
> managers. In a redundant lock manager config, you generally have 3-5
> lock managers. One is elected the master lock manager and the others are
> slaves. If the master loses conenctivity to the other nodes, the
> majority of the remaining nodes will elect a new master.
>
> The other consideration when using lock_gulm with RLM is that lockserver
> nodes must be fenced from network and the storage, so simply fencing on
> a fibre switch port is not suffiencient. These means that you need
> network power switches to fence the lock servers.

Got'cha. I should have the boxes on Masterswitches, so should be fine
there. The only time a box would need to be fenced is when it loses
communication, right? (So I'd still be ok running virtual machines on the
lock servers.)

> If you have Dell PowerEdge servers, you can also fence them with the
> Embedded Remote Access controllers. I wrote a little PERL script that
> does so if you're interested. Theres also a similar script in the fence
> CVS, but I like mine better. 8)

I do have PowerEdge servers, but they are 1550's, which apparently won't
work with any of the RAC cards.  :( I was bummed to find that out.