[Linux-cluster] Bufferoverrun in cman_tool/join.c

Michael Stübiger stuebiger-cluster at cip.ifi.lmu.de
Wed Mar 16 10:46:38 UTC 2005

Hello!

The buffersize of 512 as defined in cman_tool/join.c seems to be insufficient in some cases.
When I tried to add a node with a FQDN of 42 characters in length to the cluster I got the following
error message:

can't resolve node name <nodename>

Since DNS was working correctly both ways the message was plainly missleading.
Strace'ing a join showed that gethostbyname2_r exited with an error number indicating a bufferoverrun.

Changing the buffersize to 1024 solved the Problem in this case.

Yours respectfully
Michael Stübiger
--
| Dipl. Inf. Michael Stübiger                   Michael.Stuebiger at rz.ifi.lmu.de |
| Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Muenchen                                         |