[Linux-cluster] GFS, DLM & RH-Cluster Suite

Graham Wood linux-cluster at spam.dragonhold.org
Fri Mar 25 08:12:55 UTC 2005

Patricio Bruna V wrote:

>For the moment i dont (wont) have any kind of regular network connection
>(ethernet).
>So the only 2 posibilities i have for now are:
>
>1. to setup a serial link
>2. use net over usb (usbnet)
>
>so, basically my question is: would 1 or 2 work?
>
>thx

In theory, the cluster software should work over any link.  Running ppp
over the serial link, and/or usbnet, should be sufficient.  However, you
will probably have to play with the timeout & other settings to get them
to work over such a slow link.  It's also going to be incredibly slow to
do anything.

If you're looking to use GFS (and don't have any shared storage) then
you're going to have to use some method of faking that (GNBD, or
similar) which will send more data over the "connection" too, and is
likely to overload it if you're doing anything at all to the filesystem.

If you've got spare PCI slots, I'd SERIOUSLY recommend getting a pair of
really cheap network cards & a crossover cable - they're relatively
cheap these days, and here would probably be about the same cost in
total as a USB<->USB cable!

Graham